White Privilege

Gunce • Head of research at Glow. Unwilling infertility expert. 2 kids after 6 IVF treatments.

Our admin deleted the prior post about "white privilege" on request by the post creator. But I am going to create a new one, because honesty, it made my heart heavy to see so many comments on it that made such little effort to see the other side of the story.

I think this is an important - a vital - topic for our amazing country. And I think, here at Glow we have a unique opportunity to discuss this important topic in a way seldom found elsewhere in society, because we are mostly women in this community. Incredible, empathatic, supportive, kind, honest women. 

So let's try this again.

The question here is not whether or not you think white privilege exists. Clearly, we may never agree on that.

Let's talk instead about whether you personally have ever seen or felt white privilege in action. The answer may be a simple no. If so, please leave it at that. Just a simple no.

If yes, tell us how and where you felt it.

I can personally tell you that as a white person, I feel it even with the simplest of stuff. Stuff like when I go to nice hotel, and the shampoo available is made for my fine, thin hair. Or when I put on a band-aid on my kids, it matches the color of their skin. And I could go on and on.

I realize that many many woman in this community have their own hardships and their own struggles, but for this one post, please let us try and just listen to each other. 

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. And thank in advance for being kind and respectful of each other as we discuss this important topic.